FAQs for Social Work Compliance

Below is information for frequently asked questions about compliance. Just click the topic to view related FAQs.



BSW and MSW Compliance

  • What should I do if my field instructor said I don’t need the required compliance that was sent from the field office?
    • Contact the field office to verify compliance requirements.
  • Does the school offer HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) training?
    • No. Ask your placement for organizations that provide the training. 
  • How do I know what compliance requirements to complete?
    • You will receive an email from the Field Office that outlines the requirements you need to complete through UNC Charlotte. Your placement agency site may have additional requirements for you to complete. 

Tuberculosis (TB)

  • I just had a TB test last year. Do I need another one?
    • Yes, TB testing needs to be done annually for field placement. TB testing should be completed no earlier than May 1st of the semester before your anticipated placement.
  • My TB test came back positive? What should I do?
  • What can I do if I am not sure I can take the TB skin test?
    • The compliance office will accept results from a QuantiFERON-TB Gold blood test for TB.
  • What is a 2-Step TB test?
    • Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by a bacteria that affects the lungs. There are two types of tests for TB: the TB skin test and the TB blood test.
    • The TB skin test is performed by injecting a small amount of fluid (called tuberculin) into the skin on the lower part of the arm. After this, the patient must return within 48 to 72 hours to get the results. For a 2-Step, the test is administered twice.
    • TB blood tests are also called interferon-gamma release assays or IGRAs. A health care provider will draw a patient’s blood and send it to a laboratory for analysis and results.
    • A negative result means that latent TB infection or TB disease is not likely. A positive TB test means the person has been infected with TB bacteria and requires a chest x-ray and TB symptom check.


CPR/First Aid

  • Will the compliance office accept online CPR/First Aid?
    • The CPR requirement is based on what the particular site requires - some are more lenient than others.
  • What type of CPR do I need?
    • Please ask your field placement agency site. If your agency does not have a preference, you should complete training through the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. 
      American Heart Association certification is now available to all students through the Student Health Center. BLS and Heartsaver First Aid courses are offered. For additional information, please contact shchealth@uncc.edu. Social Work students can also acquire training through the American Red Cross and Innovative Solutions (AHA training).


Blood Bourne Pathogens (BBP)

  • How do I submit proof that I have taken the test?
    • Submit a screenshot or clear photo of your results, including your name, score, and date. Only one page is needed.
  • What score do I need on the BBP test?
    • At least a score of 13 or better.
  • Can I resubmit results if I’ve taken BBP test with another agency?
    • No, the BBP test has to be taken online through UNC Charlotte CHHS.
  • When should I take the BBP test?
    • Take no earlier than May of the coming year that you will enter placement in the fall.
  • Do I need to retake the BBP test if I took the BBP test last year for placement?
    • Yes, if the field office noted that you need to take it for the upcoming year.



  • What should I do if I have my immunizations but can’t find my records?
    • You can request a titer from your doctor for the following immunizations: Hepatitis B, Varicella, and MMRs.
  • Can I decline any immunizations?
    • Only Hepatitis B. For declination of other immunizations a special request will have to be made through the agency. Contact TBD for the form or information about special requests.
  • Is it ok if I only have one dose of a vaccine?
    • No, you will need all of your doses. If you are unable to have all your doses by the field compliance deadline please contact the Field Office at ssw-field@uncc.edu.​
  • Will I need a COVID-19 vaccine?
    • Only if it is required by your field placement agency. This will be noted in the email you receive about what compliance requirements to complete.
  • Do I have to start over if I don’t have all the doses of a vaccine?
    • No, you can just begin the next dose needed to complete the series.
  • Do I need to resubmit if I submitted my immunizations to the compliance office last year?
    • Yes.
  • What should I do if I can’t find the flu vaccine right now?
    • The flu vaccine is not always available during certain times of the year. If it’s not available submit your other compliance documentation and then when the vaccine becomes available get the vaccine and submit your results.
  • Can I decline the flu vaccine?
    • A request would have to be made to your site to see if they would accept you without having the vaccine.


Criminal Background Check (CBC)

  • Can I submit the same results if I had a CBC done through UNC Charlotte's partnership with Certiphi Screening last year?
    • Yes, you can use the same results but you must re-submit the results via the Dropbox.
  • What does the CBC include?
    • SSN validation, Sex Offender Registry, State Criminal and Other Offenses, Federal Criminal and Other Offenses, OIG/GSA Excluded Parties, and International, if applicable.
  • Who has access to my results? What’s shared?
    • Only the compliance office has access to your records. The only information shared with the field office is if you are cleared or not.
  • Am I able to start field work if there is something on my record?
    • If there is something on your CBC then the compliance office will notify the field office and CHHS will notify the potential agency to see if the CBC will be accepted. 
  • Can the field office forward information if my field agency is requesting a copy of my CBC?
    • No, we are not allowed to release any records. You will need to submit a copy to them. 
  • Can I complete my background check through another vendor, or through my county of residence?
    • If you have background check highlighted on your compliance form, you MUST complete your background check through UNC Charlotte partnership Certiphi unless otherwise noted.


Drug Screen

  • Where can I get a drug screen done?
    • All drug screens must be completed using Certiphi (UNC Charlotte's vendor). Students can choose a site from Certiphi's list.
  • What type of drug screen should I get?
    • You will need a 12 Panel Drugs screen provided by a site on the Certiphi list.


myClinicalExhange (myCE)

  • What is myClinicalExchange (myCE)?
    • myClinicalExchange (myCE) is an online database used by Novant and CaroMont to track compliance items and process drug screen sand background checks. Students attending Novant or CaroMont for their internship are required to register with myClinical Exchange (myCE). You will be contacted via email with additional information regarding accessing myCE


Employment-based Field Placement

  • Do I need to submit compliance documents if I am an employment-based student?
    • In most cases, the only compliance items you will need to submit is the Bloodborne Pathogens training and a recent TB test