Path for Post-MSW Professionals


MSW Professionals currently practicing school social work or desire to become a school social worker have the opportunity to pursue School Social Work Licensure through UNC Charlotte. MSW Professionals that successfully complete all requirements are eligible for recommendation for licensure to the NC Department of Public Instruction.


  • Apply to be a Post-Baccalaureate Student: In order to take the required classes MSW Professionals will need to become affiliated with UNC Charlotte. This can be done through the Graduate School. Directions for how to sign-up can be found HERE. Information regarding Tuition and Fees can be found HERE.
  • Employment as a School Social Worker: MSW Professionals must show proof of working as a School Social Worker for at least one year under the supervision of a school social worker licensed in North Carolina. A sample letter from the Human Resources Office can be found HERE.
    1. NOTE: MSW Professionals interested in obtaining School Social Work Licensure, but are NOT currently working as a school social worker can still take the required classes and then once hired provide employment proof after one year of employment.
  • School Social Work Course: Enroll in SOWK 5102: School Social Work course with a grade of C or better. The course is offered in the Spring semester and some Summers based on demand. Click here to find out more about Schedule of Classes and Academic Calendar & Deadlines .
  • School-based Elective: Successfully complete an approved 3-credit hour education-based elective (e.g., Introduction to Special Education/Diverse Learners) with a grade of C or better.
  • Submit Required Documentation AFTER all courses complete: After all coursework is successfully completed, collect the following documentation:
    1. School Social Work Licensure Application: Submit the completed application. The application can be found HERE.
    2. Post Graduate Transcript: Copy of unofficial or official UNC Charlotte transcript providing proof of completing all coursework, passed SOWK 5102 School Social Work Course, and passed School-based Elective.
    3. Graduate Transcript where MSW was earned: Copy of Official Transcript.
    4. Proof of Employment: Submit a letter regarding your employment for at least one year from your Human Resources Office.

The School Social Work Licensure Coordinator will review the paperwork and if everything is accounted for will write a formal letter of recommendation for School Social Work Licensure that will be sent to the Teaching Education and Advising and Licensure (TEAL) Office and a copy will be provided to the MSW Professional via email as well. Please allow at least 2 weeks for this process to be completed.

Please feel free to reach out to the School Social Work Coordinator with any questions or concerns.


Jacquelyn Garcia, LCSW
School Social Work Licensure Coordinator and Lecturer
School of Social Work I College of Health & Human Services
Telephone: 704-750-1831 | Fax: 704-687-1658