Admissions Information

Qualified Applicants

The program is open to anyone with an undergraduate degree, preferably in a human services field, who graduated with a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Early childhood intervention experience is helpful but not required.

Items Needed to Apply

You will have to submit three items:

  • Transcripts that verify you have earned an undergraduate degree and your undergraduate GPA was 2.75 or higher
  • A 2-4 page (double-spaced) statement of purpose
  • Resume
  • Three recommendations

The application will give you more details on submitting transcripts and recommendation forms. Your statement of purpose should address the following:

  • What first interested you about the certificate program?
  • How do you think the certificate can help you in your career?
  • Discuss your previous experience, if you have any, with diverse children and families (meaning people who are from different backgrounds than your own). What was your biggest challenge and what did you learn from the experience?
  • What strengths and skills do you bring to the certificate program?

How to Apply

Go to the Graduate School website and click on the green button on the right side of the page labeled “Apply Now.” Either log in or create an account. Start a new application, fill out the required information, then select “Graduate Certificate” under the Program of Study tab, then select your desired program of study (Early Childhood Mental Health) and your desired term of entry.


To Begin Fall Semester (August)
Priority Application Submission: March 1st
Final Application Submission: August 1st

To Begin Spring Semester (January)
Priority Application Submission: October 1st
Final Application Submission: December 1st

Additional Information for Applicants

  • Academic credit is not given for life experience, nor is life experience part of the admission rating rubric. This is communicated to applicants via the School of Social Work website and student handbooks.
  • Persons with disabilities who need assistance in the admission process must contact the School of Social Work to request such assistance a minimum of fifteen days prior to the application deadline. The applicant will be connected with the Office of Disability Services to request that a staff member assist the applicant with completing the application.
  • Students who leave the ECMH program (in good standing, due to suspension, or due to termination) and wish to return can contact the Coordinator of the ECMH Certificate Program or the Graduate School for guidance related to readmission or reinstatement.

Additional Graduate Certificate Information