FAQs for Prospective ECMH Students



Is the certificate program available online?

No.  One course, SOWK 6171 Early Childhood Mental Health, is 100% online.  The other courses required for the certificate meet on the main campus.

Can I double-count the courses I take toward both a graduate degree and the ECMH certificate?

Yes. If you are currently enrolled in a degree program, you can double-count courses toward the degree and the certificate program.  Dually enrolled students are encouraged to apply early to the certificate program of interest so that classes can be planned out thoughtfully. 

Can someone enrolled in an undergraduate degree program be admitted into the certificate program?

No. You must have a four-year undergraduate degree before you enter the program.

Can students enrolled in another graduate degree program be admitted to the certificate program?

Yes. Dually enrolled students are encouraged to apply early to the certificate program of interest so that classes can be planned out thoughtfully. Although we discourage the practice, students may apply to a certificate program and graduate during the same term. We prefer students to intentionally pursue a certificate rather than add the credential as afterthought.

Can I transfer credits from another graduate program into the certificate program?

If a student has already been awarded a Master’s or Doctorate degree, any courses which apply to those degree programs (whether taken at UNC Charlotte or another university/institution) are NOT eligible to transfer into a certificate program. A course taken at another university/institution are typically NOT eligible for transfer into a certificate program.

If I finish the certificate program and later decide I want to earn a graduate degree program at UNC Charlotte, can I transfer in the courses I took in the certificate program toward the degree?

You can usually apply 6 credit hours (two courses) toward a graduate degree.  Talk to the MSW Program Director if you are considering this option.

If I am dually enrolled in a certificate and graduate degree program, do I have to complete both programs at the same time in order to graduate?

Students co-enrolled in a certificate and degree program may graduate from one program and continue on to complete the other program. They are not required to graduate during the same term.

Is there a cost to apply?

Yes.  The Graduate School assesses a one-time fee of $75.00.

Do I have to mail anything?

No. The application is entirely online.

Who can provide a recommendation for me?

The recommendation should come from a human service professional with at least a four-year undergraduate degree.  Examples include former graduate or undergraduate internship supervisors, past or present work supervisors, or other professionals who have supervised you and can vouch for your ability to work with young children and their families.

Who do I contact for more information?

Admissions Team