Social work Honors Program
Students who are accepted into our Honors program receive the following additional benefits
- Early enrollment into classes
- Access to University Honors resources and scholarships
- Consideration for residence in University Honors Housing
- Social Work Professional Development opportunities
If you are interested in begin considered for this program, it requires an additional application. Students may apply for admission to the undergraduate Social Work Honors Program during the fall semester of their first year of Upper Division matriculation. The undergraduate admissions committee will determine the process for review of applications.
Admission criteria are as follows
- Overall grade point average of 3.4
- Submit a social work honors application which includes an essay
- Submit a recommendation letter
- Upon acceptance, the student must sign the Honors College Student Code form
To remain in the Social Work Honors program, students must
- Maintain a minimum of a 3.4 overall grade point average
- Maintain a minimum of a 3.4 cumulative grade point average in all Social Work courses counted toward the major
To graduate with Honors in Social Work, students must
- Produce a written capstone project proposal in the Fall semester. It must be judged by a committee of readers and pass.
- Provide an oral defense of the capstone project before a committee. It must be judged by a committee of readers as A quality to pass.
- Comply with all procedural requirements established by the Honors Council and the Faculty Council for graduating with Honors in a department
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4
- Earn a grade of A in the culminating senior field education course (SOWK 3484)
The honors notation will appear on a student’s official transcript and noted on the commencement program.
If all requirements are not met, students can still progress through the BSW program and complete degree requirements but they will not graduate with designated honors.
For information about UNC Charlotte's Honors College, visit the link below