Path for Post-BSW Professionals


BSW Professionals currently practicing school social work or desire to become a school social worker have the opportunity to pursue School Social Work Licensure through UNC Charlotte. BSW Professionals that successfully complete all requirements are eligible for recommendation for licensure to the NC Department of Public Instruction.


  • Apply to be a Post-Baccalaureate Student: In order to take the required classes BSW Professionals will need to become affiliated with UNC Charlotte. This can be done through the Graduate School. More information about applying for as a Post-Baccalaureate student, visit the Graduate School’s website. Information regarding tuition and fees can be found HERE.
  • Employment as a School Social Worker: BSW Professionals must show proof of working as a School Social Worker for at least one year under the supervision of a school social worker licensed in North Carolina. A sample letter from the Human Resources Office can be found HERE.
    1. NOTE: BSW Professionals interested in obtaining School Social Work Licensure, but are NOT currently working as a school social worker can still take the required classes and then once hired provide employment proof after one year of employment.
  • School Social Work Course: Enroll in SOWK 4102: School Social Work course with a grade of C or better. The course is offered in the Spring semester and some Summers based on demand. Click here to find out more about Schedule of Classes and Academic Calendar & Deadlines.
  • School-based Elective: Successfully complete an approved 3-credit hour education-based elective (e.g., Introduction to Special Education/Diverse Learners) with a grade of C or better. Approved electives can be found HERE
  • Submit Required Documentation AFTER all courses complete: After all coursework is successfully completed, collect the following documentation:
    1. School Social Work Licensure Application: Submit the completed application. The application can be found HERE.
    2. Post Undergraduate Transcript: Copy of unofficial or official UNC Charlotte transcript providing proof of completing all coursework, passed SOWK 4102 School Social Work Course, and passed School-based Elective.
    3. Undergraduate Transcript where BSW was earned: Copy of Official Transcript.
    4. Proof of Employment: Submit a letter regarding your employment for at least one year from your Human Resources Office.

The School Social Work Licensure Coordinator will review the paperwork and if everything is accounted for will write a formal letter of recommendation for School Social Work Licensure that will be sent to the Teaching Education and Advising and Licensure (TEAL) Office and a copy will be provided to the BSW Professional via email as well. Please allow at least 2 weeks for this process to be completed.

Please feel free to reach out to the School Social Work Coordinator with any questions or concerns.


Jacquelyn Garcia, LCSW
School Social Work Licensure Coordinator and Lecturer
School of Social Work I College of Health & Human Services
Telephone: 704-750-1831 | Fax: 704-687-1658